In the Local History and Genealogy Department, you’ll find indexes to vital records from local municipalities, indexes to cemetery records, family histories, church directories, high school yearbooks, city directories, plat maps, genealogy magazines, and many other resources. We're always working on updating and adding databases as time allows so check back often.
Anyone living in Ottawa County is aware of our rich Dutch heritage. Our staff is familiar with the peculiarities of Dutch genealogy and can help you with your research. We also offer many materials for German, English, Irish, Scottish, French, French-Canadian, Native American, Italian, Jewish, Swedish, and African-American genealogy. These materials include passenger lists, guides to immigration records, and guides to vital records in the country of origin.
Internet Genealogy for Beginners
If you have always wanted to research your family's history, this 2 hour course is a great place to begin. This class will introduce you to basic genealogy how-to’s including completing pedigree charts and family group sheets, creating a digital tree, navigating genealogical websites, and locating and using records. Basic computer skills are required. Attendees are asked to bring a USB flash drive to class. This class is free but seating is limited. Registration begins 30 days prior to the class date. Reserve your space by calling 842-5560 x225 or or register online by using the Classes & Events Calendar link on top right of page.
Research Your Family Using Ancestry
This advanced internet genealogy course will focus on using Ancestry Library Edition. You will learn how to search the Federal Census, Military Records, Immigration Records and much more. Basic computer skills are required. This 2 hour class is free but seating is limited. Registration opens 30 days before the date of the class. Reserve your space by calling 842-5560 x225 or register online by using the Classes & Events Calendar link on top right of page.
LDL Local History/Genealogy Room Hours:
|Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday||9 am - 8:45 pm|
|Friday||9 am - 5:45 pm|
|Saturday||9 am - 4:45 pm|
|Sunday during Winter Hours||1 pm - 4:45 pm|
Online Genealogy Resources
- Directory of Businesses, Industries, and Organizations of Northwest Ottawa County by Wallace K. Ewing, Ph.D.
- Cemetery Records
- Lake Forest Cemetery, Lake Street, Grand Haven City, Ottawa County, MI. In addition, click here to go to Lake Forest Cemetery's website.
- Lakeshore Cemetery, Lincoln Street West of US 31, Grand Haven Township, Ottawa County, MI
- Grand Haven Historic Cemetery, 168th Avenue North of Lincoln Street, Grand Haven Township, Ottawa County, MI
- Spring Lake Cemetery, Fruitport Road and State Road, Spring Lake Township, Ottawa County, MI
- Holland Cemeteries, Holland, MI
- Robinson Township Cemetery, North Cedar Drive, Robinson Township, Ottawa County, MI
- Ancestry (only available in the library)