What is National Child Abuse Prevention Month?
Child sexual abuse is an epidemic, and Ottawa County is not immune. 1: 10 children are sexually abused before their 18th birthday. At the Ed & Nancy Hanenburg Children’s Advocacy Center (CAC), their mission is to provide child centered prevention, advocacy, and team intervention in investigation, assessment, and treatment of child abuse inclusive of all children and families. All clients and non-offending family members receive their services for free, for life. Their core services are forensic interviews, therapy, medical examinations, court preparation, victim advocacy, and prevention. The CAC is very fortunate to have extensive support from our community while they serve this extremely high risk population.
To help bring awareness to the pervasiveness of child sexual abuse, the CAC participates in National Child Abuse Prevention Month (CAPM) every April. CAPM recognizes the importance of communities working together to help families thrive and prevent child maltreatment. During the month of April, communities are encouraged to increase awareness about child and family well being, and work together to implement effective strategies that support families and prevent child abuse and neglect.
What We Can Do, Together:
- Follow CAC on Facebook and/or Instagram for new resources posted every week to learn how you can help end child abuse!
- Sign-up for one of CAC’s FREE virtual prevention trainings by visiting their calendar of events.
For April, the CAC is offering the following virtual training opportunities. Click each link to register:
- Wednesday, April 14 at 11:00 AM: Virtual Grooming Signs Training
- Thursday, April 22 at 11:00 AM: Virtual Darkness to Light Training
- Thursday, April 29 at 6:30 PM: Virtual Adverse Childhood Experiences and Resilience Training
- On April 20, watch LDL’s Body Safety video on Facebook or Youtube.
- Activities for families:
Interested in making a donation or volunteering? See this flyer for opportunities!
Questions? Please contact Prevention Director Amy Dalman at 616.393.6123 or firstname.lastname@example.org.